Friday, March 16, 2012

I Reduce, Reuse and Recycle in Italy

Hello, everybody!

So, as you probably already know/assumed, I'm going off to college in the fall. I'm not sure where I'll be going yet. I applied to six schools. I've gotten into four so far and I'm still waiting to hear from the last two. In order to pay for college I'm applying for several scholarships! Luckily, being an exchange student in Italy hasn't made it too hard, because almost everything is online.

Right now, I'm applying for a scholarship that's all about ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle on http://www.castleink.com. (Anyone else looking for scholarships should totally check it out!) And for part of the application I'm doing this blog post about a way I like to do this.

The "Three Rs" are an incredibly important part of keeping our world healthy and beautiful. I take part by tossing my paper, cans and glass in the recycling bin, as everyone should, but I like to get a little interesting and crafty with it, too. It doesn't have to be something boring, it can be fun!

I'm about to show you my most recent crafty-recycling endeavor. One store where I like to shop has the cutest cloth bags for carrying your new clothes home. For a while, I used one of these bags as a purse, but the sheer material quickly began to rip. I guess it was better suited for carrying light-weight clothing than the sorts of things that go in purses. Not much can be done with a ripped bag, no matter how cute it is, so I decided to give it new life in a different form. I ripped it into shreds, which I braided into bracelets. They turned out really cute.




I'm very excited to now how have a bunch of new pretty little bracelets. I'm thinking they'll make good "friendship bracelets." I can give them to all the new friends I've made this year that I'm going to miss when I go back to the States. Yay for reducing, reusing and recycling!!!

I'll be back very soon with a blog post about my trip to Ireland, as promised. I am hoping to get it posted before I go off for my week in Sicilia on the 24th. Until then, I hope I've inspired you to get crafty! Reduce, reuse and recycle!

~Chandler

1 comment: